JTC Running Board of Directors Meeting Minutes January 2021

JTC Running BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES
Tuesday, January 5, 2021
Location: Zoom Video Conference

President Larry Roberts called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. Directors present for the meeting were Doug Alred, Jane Alred, Nicole Andress, Christy Astorga, Bonnie Brooks, James Bryant, Errol Daniels, Susan Haag, Dennis Harrison, Todd O’Donnell, Ty Payne, Larry Roberts, Larry Sassa, Paul Smith, Douglas Tillett, Stuart Toomey, and Jim Van Cleave. Directors Angela Harris and Franz Lerch were absent.

Approval of 12/1/20 (December meeting) minutes: On a motion by Todd O’Donnell and seconded by James Bryant, the December board meeting minutes were approved.

Election of 2021 Officers – Douglas Tillett explained that we always elect our executive board at the beginning of the first meeting of the year. The election of the 2021 executive board was held.
For the office of President, Larry Roberts was nominated by Errol Daniels. There were no other nominations. The vote was called, and Larry Roberts was unanimously elected President.
For the office of Vice President, Larry Sassa was nominated by Todd O’Donnell. There were no other nominations. The vote was called, and Larry Sassa was unanimously elected Vice President.
For the office of Secretary, Errol Daniels was nominated by Todd O’Donnell. There were no other nominations. The vote was called, and Errol Daniels was unanimously elected Secretary.
For the office of Treasurer, our rules call for the president to name the candidate they deem best to serve as Treasurer, then the board approves the nomination. President Roberts named Bonnie Brooks as his choice for Treasurer. The board unanimously approved Bonnie Brooks for Treasurer.

Treasurer’s Report: Bonnie Brooks began to report the financials; however, she was experiencing some technical issues. Once she was able to establish a clear connection, she proceeded to present her report. Bonnie discussed in detail the Balance Sheet through January 3, 2020, and the Profit and Loss Detail Statements for December. She mentioned that she did have to make a balance transfer between accounts to avoid the monthly fee assessed for minimum balance requirements. She stated that our balance sheet is strong, as we see that we’ll break even on Gate River Run. She reviewed the reports with the board. Line items discussed in detail included income and expenses for Guana and Last Gasp races, GRR training class income and expenses, memberships, Emerald Trail race donation, JTC racing team expenses, insurance, Bolles training, newsletter and printing, club promotions, and other miscellaneous fees. Bonnie continued with the Finance Committee report to avoid any other technical or Wi-Fi connection issues. On a recommendation of the Finance committee Bonnie motioned to donate $1,000 to the Friends of Guana for their support of JTC Running and the Guana races, was seconded by Larry Sassa and passed by the board.

OLD BUSINESS:

Timucuan Parks Event/Run Jump Throw – Larry Roberts stated that he needed to speak with and follow up with Angela Harris regarding the Run Jump Throw event as she was not in attendance for the meeting. James Bryant reported that he needed to transfer the Timucuan Park survey to Wild Apricot so it could be sent out to everyone.

Marathon High to run the virtual Breast Cancer Half Marathon – Larry Roberts reported that we will be providing timing for the event as there is nearly 300 runners enrolled in the program currently. The event will take place the weekend of February 13-14th at Lee and Atlantic Coast High Schools.

Track Series 2021 – Douglas Tillett reported he met with Eric Frank to get the equipment and discuss the track series. He mentioned that we may be able to persuade and pay him to help with the transition to a new director, which would be good as he has done so well with the event in the past. was experiencing technical issues and instructed the board to move on and circle back.

JTC Running Board of Directors 2021 – Douglas Tillett reported that we still have an open seat on the board. He mentioned that we do not need to fill the seat, however it would be nice to have assistance in various areas of operations like social media and membership.

2021 Gate River Run Training Class – Larry Roberts stated that the training class had 50 entries signed up. He said that we would offer a new promo for an entry into the Gate River Run with a class sign up. The training class kick-off is scheduled for next Tuesday (1/12/2021 @ 6:15pm) at the Baymeadows 1st Place Sports store.

NEW BUSINESS:

No New Business

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

Bolles Wednesday Workouts – Paul Smith reported that Bolles track sessions are blacked out this and next week due to the track resurfacing.

Guana Trail Races – Larry Roberts stated that he had heard good things regarding the event, but we’ll have a detailed report from Franz Lerch at our next meeting.

Last Gasp 5K – Larry Roberts reported that we did have day of race sign ups, however we did not have any paper entries this year. Doug Alred said it was a great event with a different course that everyone seemed to enjoy. It was said that workers at the park allowed some of the runners to go in and get food and enjoy the place. Next year we will have this and/or JU as options. It was stated that we thanked Richard Fannin for his help with the planning and his efforts with this event. Bonnie mentioned that she had spoken with Richard and the owner and they were thankful that we had the event there.

Go Green Winter Beach Run – Doug Alred reported that we could use some more entries but expect to get some more as the race date gets closer. This year we will only be running south due to pier construction as the course is a 2.5 mile out and back. We are all set with the City of Jacksonville Beach. We will be following the same social distancing guidelines we have been using. We will continue to promote the event, as it is a Grand Prix race, to get more race entries. We currently have about 90 runners signed up. The race this year is only 5 miles as we are not doing a 1 mile or 10-mile option.

Gate River Run/Elites – Doug Alred reported that the race will be having the 15K championship race. He stated that the Hyatt cannot honor our agreement because they had all rooms booked for 6 months. We are going with Omni as they worked out a deal for us. He has budgeted River Run with the championship. We will be giving out top 10% hats and awards but there is no post-race party as to comply with social distancing. There will be social distancing and expo time slots for packet pick up for the expo, as pick up times will be selected during race registration. There is always the possibility that we won’t have the event and must cancel. We are offering a virtual race option, which currently we have 30 signed up so far. We’re in pretty good shape at this point. The dual start will be a little more costly but needed due to Covid. Jim Van Cleave reiterated that Omni stepped up to help with the room situation. He reported that he had received email from USATF stating that we should move forward if the covid protocols are in place. He mentioned the covid protocols that were followed with the Marathon Project that included covid testing 7 days prior and testing athletes when they arrive. He stated that would be costly with every athlete. People around the athletes would need to also be tested prior to helping them. He mentioned there’s excitement around Gate still putting on the championship race as athletes are excited to just be able to race. We are trying to stay within budget. Currently we have 37 men and 35 women per their agents. Again, he said our job is to make sure we stay within budget as we cannot pay airfare, hotel, and entry for all.

Finance Report – Reported with Treasurer’s Report.

Community & Public Relations – Larry Sassa stated that we needed to update our video. He said had spoken with Trish to get photographs and videos edited and updated. He wanted to get a cost of much it would be to get the needed updates and work done. This process would allow us to remove older items that have aged out and incorporate our newest projects.

Classes & Clinics – On hold, No Report.

Membership – Stuart Toomey reported current membership was 1,231.

Communications: Social Media – Doug Tillett reported that the newsletter cutoff is January 13th if you had anything to add to this issue. We should get something in there for Last Gasp and Guana.

Vision & Planning – No Report. Doug Alred mentioned that we would not really be using the fairgrounds the day of GRR. The day should consist of runners staying in parking lot near their cars, going to race start, running the race, and going home. We will probably use the same transportation we used at Emerald Trail, with open air shuttle for the elites.

NEXT MEETING – The next board meeting will be Tuesday, February 2, at 6:30 pm via Zoom Video Conference.

The January meeting was adjourned at 7:36 pm.

Pin It

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.