JTC Running Board of Directors Meeting Minutes November 2017

JTC Running BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES

Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Location:  Mediterrania Restaurant; 3877 Baymeadows Road; Jacksonville, FL

President Larry Roberts called the meeting to order at 6:41 p.m. Directors present for the meeting were Doug Alred, Jane Alred, Bonnie Brooks, Colleen Clarson, Errol Daniels, Michael DelCharco, Susan Haag, Angela Harris, Stan Lambert, Todd O’Donnell, Ty Payne, Larry Roberts, Larry Sassa, Douglas Tillett, Stuart Toomey, and Jim Van Cleave.  Directors Franz Lerch, Connie Smith, and Lamar Strother were absent. JTCR member Amy Ingles attended the meeting. Additionally, Amy was in attendance on the behalf of the City of Jacksonville to make a presentation to the board.

Jacksonville Bike/Ped Presentation: Special guest Amy Ingles, Bicycle/Pedestrian Coordinator, presented an overview of the city’s Pedestrian and Bicycle Master Plan. The plan showcases how Jacksonville can become one of the best cities for walking, running, and bicycling in the Southeast.

 Approval of 10/3/17 (October meeting) minutes: On a motion by Stuart Toomey and seconded by Todd O’Donnell, the October board meeting minutes were approved as submitted.

Treasurer’s Report:  Treasurer Bonnie Brooks distributed copies of the Balance Sheet and the Profit and Loss Detail Statement through October of 2017 and then thoroughly explained all the line items. As she went through the line items, she mentioned that some may look a little different due to the new adjustments to the line items. She also stated that the club’s 2017 taxes are currently being prepared by our accountants Smoak Davis.

 OLD BUSINESS:

 Election of 2018 Board of Directors – Larry Roberts mentioned that we will need to fill several vacant board member seats for 2018. He asked that we think of current JTCR members that we believe would be an asset to the board. A prerequisite for eligible members to be considered, would include currently being a member for at least a year. Current board members with terms expiring includes: Doug Alred, Jane Alred, Colleen Clarson, Michael DelCharco, Angela Harris, Stan Lambert, Larry Roberts, Larry Sassa, Connie Smith, and Jim Van Cleave.

JU Running Lab – Todd O’Donnell reported that the running lab has made vast updates since the beginning of its opening. They are currently in the process of rolling out the VO2 max analysis and have been conducting the biomechanical analysis. Also, the running lab is currently conducting various health and running seminars.

 Sulzbacher Night, Nov. 11 – Our next Sulzbacher Night of Service is scheduled for Saturday November 11. We currently have a total of 15 volunteers registered.

2018 Track Series – The track meet dates have been set. Currently we are set up to host 5 spring meets (January, April, June, and 2 in July). Our first scheduled meet will be January 13, at 4pm, located at Creekside. Registration will be available in the next couple of weeks.

 NEW BUSINESS:

RRCA State Championship Race Bids – We would like to but in a bid to have one of our existing races serve as a RRCA state championshipship race. In order to do so, we will need more information regarding the process and which distance events we can submit for consideration. Doug Tillett indicated that he would work on getting more details.

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

Guana Trail Races (12/3/17) – We have 89 registered at the moment, which is 6 more registrants ahead of where we were last year at this time, however 59 less than 2015 when we sold out. We usually add 100-110 runners the last month.

 Last Gasp (Sat 12/30/17) – Registration is currently open and information can be found on our website. Currently we have 36 runners signed up for this event. We will do another push for registration after Thanksgiving.

Winter Beach Run (Sun 1/21/18) Doug Alred reported that the event is all set and the open registration email will be sent out soon.

Gate River Run (Sat 3/10/18) – Doug Alred reported that we currently have more than 2,000 entries to date. This is a down sponsor year, but we will be fine with the sponsors returning and we’ll pick up some more as well. It was mentioned that one of the expenses for the race that will be going up is the costs for police. If this trend continues, it could become an issue for the event.

RACE COMMITTEE / TRACK MEET COMMITTEE – No report.

JTCR RACING TEAM – Larry reported that Kathy Murray is doing a fantastic job with organizing the team and making sure they are visible and well represented at races.

CLASSES & CLINICS – Jane Alred reported that Dr. Jim Presley, from the Mayo Clinic, will continue doing monthly clinics for 1st Place Sports and JTC Running in conjunction with the Running Lab. The focus of the seminars and clinics will be to discuss the health and fitness concerns of our running community.

COMMUNITY & PUBLIC RELATIONS – Larry Sassa discussed the use of the JTC tent at Gate River Run and that arrangements are being set up for next year’s festivities.

 FINANCE – No report.

MEMBERSHIP – Stuart Toomey reported membership is at 1,224 active members.

MERCHANDISE – It was reported that we have relocated to a smaller storage unit. We had been in the same units since 2008 without any substantial price increases until recently. Based on the price increase and amount of storage needed, we elected to move into a smaller sized unit.

NEWSLETTER – Current issue has been printed and is currently in the mail. The newsletter is accessible via the email blast that has been sent out. Deadline to make the Nov/Dec issue is November 10th, but arrangements can be made to wait until the 15th if someone needed additional time to submit a story. Also, we are currently waiting on the monthly Jacksonville University article.

 SOCIAL MEDIA – Stan Lambert reported that he has been consistently posting and updating our Twitter and Facebook accounts to include upcoming events. Also, he requested if we had any pictures from our recent check presentation to Tijuana Flats so that we could add that to our social media accounts.

SOCIAL & BANQUET – The JTCR Winter Party will coincide with the Festival of Lights 5K on December 9th at the 1st Place Sports San Marco store. Jane asked if we could get volunteers to assist with food pickup and set up.

 VISION & PLANNING – It was reported that there was storm damage to Tomahawk Park and has since been cleaned up and cleared. We will be receiving a plaque for the recent improvements we’ve done to the park.

NEXT MEETING – The next board meeting will be Tuesday, December 5, at 6:30 pm in the Mediterrania Restaurant.

The November meeting was adjourned at 7:50 pm.

Pin It

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *